Friday, November 18, 2011

Re: Import Failure (Internal Failure)




Hi Joe,
I just got access and have tried out various things today. Most things
appear to work as long as you do the right actions - the help pages
and this group are rather useful to get on track. Error messages could
be better. It is also a bit silly that the SQL prompt in the web
interface assumes that you actually type in commands - if I just paste
something in, the execute button is still disabled so I must fiddle to
be allowed to execute.

Thanks for reporting this... I filed an issue to track it here:


Anyway, there appears to be something iffy with the import. The dump
I've experimented with claims to be imported, but the data is missing
from some of the tables. I'm pretty sure that the reason is that the
dump is not correctly sorted (data in one table refer to other tables
that are further down in the file). This is easily fixed as such, but
it illustrates my statement above: Error messages are currently not
handled in a very user friendly way - I must pretty much already
anticipate problems even though they are not reported.

Was this a dump you took via mysqldump on a non-Cloud SQL instance, or a dump you exported from another Cloud SQL instance? If the former, what were the exact mysqldump options you passed.

FWIW, apologies about the lack of good error reporting. We're aware of this issue.

And while I'm at it: The activity animation along the top during
import appears to be mostly for show - it seems to go on a lot longer
than the actual import.

It may be off by up to 60s (since that's how often we poll the server for status).

Now, don't take this wrong - I think this is a great idea and not bad
at all for early adopters. Keep it up!

/ Jonas

No comments:

Post a Comment