Friday, August 19, 2016

[google-cloud-sql-discuss] Re: Linking Microsoft Access Tables

Hey Thomas,

It appears there are many Microsoft resources out there for migrating Access to a Microsoft SQL solution, and perhaps some for creating a mysqldump file. I found a Serverfault thread where users discussed dumping an Access DB to SQL. It might be necessary to put your DB into a read-only mode for the duration of the dump. Once you've produced a mysqldump file you'll want to try to import it to Cloud SQL. You can also import from CSV (all of this is in the Cloud SQL documentation). Cloud SQL supports replication.

As for administration, you'll have to set up a third-party tool for running queries, inspecting the data, as we currently only offer monitoring and administration interfaces for more abstract instance-level concerns in the "Developers Console > Cloud SQL" section. If this is your first time working with the Cloud Platform, you might want to get started with a Free Trial and make heavy use of the Getting Started guides, documentation and tutorials.

I hope this is helpful, let me know if you have any further questions!

Cheers,

Nick
Cloud Platform Community Support

On Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 2:26:39 AM UTC-4, Thomas Dahl wrote:
I am very much a Newbee..  But, I have built a very complex replicated Access Database that has run perfectly for 15 years with a 7-8 users replicating to a Master sitting on our server.  It works great.  I am very proud of myself to have done this...

Now that Access is no longer supporting replication I need to figure out a way to move my back-end tables into SharePoint or some other Backend Server.

As I am very new to this whole concept I am looking for an easy solution.

Does anyone see a way to use Cloud SQL for this?  Any resources I can use?  Any literature?  Anything...   I am starting from a very low level of knowledge and cannot spend bundles of money or time getting it working.  Our Backend is just under 600Mb in size with a lot of records.

I presume that there are tools to help me administrate the Cloud SQL database...  I am not great at using a command line to run and administrate it.

Any help or starting points would be very much appreciated..!!

Regards
Thomas

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Cloud SQL discuss" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-cloud-sql-discuss+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-cloud-sql-discuss/18a44060-6587-4723-accd-9b2dfc78acac%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment