Saturday, November 12, 2011

Re: need some help to get started on Google Cloud SQL


You would use myproject:myinstance.  Your local database doesn't actually use the instance name specified, but rather will always talk to the local database pointed to by the rdbms.url system property (see http://code.google.com/apis/sql/docs/developers_guide_java.html#using_the_java_development_server)

2. I followed the Guestbook tutorial on Google Cloud SQL website
exactly and by accessing my deployed tutorial app on App engine with
"myinstance" only in driver string, I get  "Error: Server Error   The
server encountered an error and could not complete your request."
What is the best approach to trouble shooting the issues of a deployed
web app on Google App Engine like this?  (sorry, this might be a app
engine question).


There's a "Logs" page in AppEngine that may have some information.  Also, while developing, I prefer to throw ServletException on errors since those will propagate back and give you a stack trace on the web page.  It makes things easier while developing and debugging.

2. After I deleted an instance I created, and then tried to create it
again, I got an error  like "instance .... already exists in the
domain".   How  can I really delete the instance so that I can
recreate it from "the domain" (which domain) ?

I don't think that's possible yet.

3. In order to run the same code using a local database, I have to
create the same database instance and the database, tables, etc as on
Cloud SQL as I think.   This seems imply that in question 1, I should
not have "myproject" in the driver string, since a local database will
not have a project name for a database instance, am I right?

I am very excited to learn how to best use Google cloud computing
services and all other cool web development tools.

Thanks and best regards

Thanks,

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment