Thursday, November 15, 2018

[google-cloud-sql-discuss] Cloud SQL (Postgres) 25%+ slower than my local PC

Hi,

I am in the process of moving a postgres database to Google Cloud SQL. It's a rather large database and I created a heavy query to test the performance. Strange enough, on my local PC, the query is 25-35% faster than it is on Google Cloud SQL. 

I verified this by connecting to both my local database and the Google Cloud SQL database from PGAdmin and I executed the query. It is consistently slower. I expected it to be faster because the Cloud SQL instance has 8 CPUs and 30GB ram. 

Any tips / ideas? I need the performance to beat my PC's performance. We are moving from a managed Amazon service, and in Amazon it is also faster. Since it's managed for us I don't know how they configured it there. 
What can I do to improve the performance? Here's the things I already tried:
  • Added more DISK to increase read/write spead as suggested by Google
  • Tried several configurations in regards of RAM and CPUs. Largest one I tested is 8 CPU and 50GB ram but it makes no difference
  • The database is located close to my home geo location. (Frankfurt)
How can I get the speed to a point that it matches my PC and our current Amazon setup?

Thanks!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Cloud SQL discuss" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-cloud-sql-discuss+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-cloud-sql-discuss/09f2adbe-3b01-46bd-bd83-724dfdae5e29%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment