Sunday, January 13, 2013

Reclaiming disk usage after deleting data?

I have a D0 (free trial) instance.   Yesterday, I populated it with a dump from a local MySQL database using the google_cloud_sql command.   I noticed that, while the entire sqldump output file was ~280MB, the claimed used space in the Google Cloud SQL console was ~400MB.    (Even the local files on my mysql instance aren't close to 400MB.)

After doing some queries and examining the output, I decided I didn't like one of the transformations done by the sqldump command (which naturally got propagated into the Cloud SQL instance.)  So, I deleted all the data in the table with a 'DELETE FROM' command. 

This took the disk usage reported in the Cloud SQL console from 400MB to 482MB.  (?)

So, I did a 'DROP TABLE' and removed the (now empty) table and recreated it.   No change, my instance is still reporting 482MB disk usage.  This was all several hours ago.  My questions:

1. Why is the disk space usage reported so much higher in Cloud SQL than on my local database?

2. Why did I not get the space back when I deleted the data?  (Or the table?)

3. Is there any way for me to reclaim the space?

No comments:

Post a Comment