Saturday, August 15, 2020

[google-cloud-sql-discuss] Re: HELP Cancel SQL Server License

Thanks.  I think I have this figured out. Billing support was sort of helpful except they keep suggesting one way to solve the issue is to shut down my project or account.  I have a couple years work under this account (just reporting stuff with BQ and Data Studio)....so it's a really annoying suggestion.  All I want is to not get billed for something that I setup but didn't use and have deleted.  I'll actually love to have a SQL database that I could play around with building some apps and maybe Cloud SQL is a lot less expensive but this experience with SQL Server has me gun shy.  For many years (years ago) I had a rack of servers setup in my house (they're still in my garage unplugged) using the Microsoft platform, Windows Server IIS, SQL Server that I used for development but it was all Microsoft based.  I've been out of actual development for a number of years so Cloud/google platform type stuff is all sort of new to me.  Working with BQ has been a lot of fun and Data Studio is very good for the price. 

On Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 9:01:44 PM UTC-7 hi...@google.com wrote:
That is definitely unfortunate, unforeseen costs are never nice to find, especially if these charges have been around for quite some time now. From my understanding you have created a Cloud SQL instance for SQL Server on your project, related to a public quickstart. 

As long as the only resources utilized for your implementation were the Cloud SQL instances, then yes, deleting the instances would prevent further charges from occurring on the Cloud SQL side. If you utilized any other resources such as, App Engine or VPC Networks, in order to utilize the Cloud SQL resources on your project, it is possible that there may be other existing charges.

Compute Engine seems to be another likely candidate for causing charges, if you have made use of compute engine instances using SQL Server.

In this case I would also recommend deleting these instances.

Although not much can be mentioned about SQL Server 2017 and how to manage costs for this product, as it is a third party product managed by Microsoft.

If you have any further inquiries about billing and any further doubts about why your account is being charged, please contact free billing support, they will be the most efficient means of investigating these types of inquiries.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Cloud SQL discuss" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to google-cloud-sql-discuss+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-cloud-sql-discuss/b30450f6-67fc-47bf-a49f-533516304918n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment