Thursday, November 15, 2012

Re: Problem moving cloud sql instance to EU datacentre

Hi Joe,

Thanks for getting back to me. If all goes well with my business we will be upgrading to premier anyway, but while I wait for that to happen it would be great to move to the EU datacentre. I think it is around the corner from my office :)

Thanks,

Anthony Nolan


On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:10:17 PM UTC, Joe Faith wrote:
For performance reasons we try to keep your Cloud SQL instance as close as possible to the top authorized App Engine application. As a result Cloud SQL instances in the EU can only be accessed from App Engine instances in the EU, and similarly for the US. Apologies if the documentation isn't clear on this, we will be clarifying it.

At the moment EU locations are only available to App Engine's premier customers. I know there's a lot of you guys in Europe using App Engine who are not on premier accounts, and we hope to be able to help you out as soon as possible.

J

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Anthony Nolan <anthon...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I did a bit more digging on this. To move cloud sql you must export the data and reimport it. There is no migration feature at the moment. Not the end of the world though, just a bit fiddly. My problem concerned appengine being in the US. My customers are in the UK. I have moved the cloud sql instance as described, but could not get my appengine instance to talk to it as the appengine was in the US. Looks like I need a premier account (500/month) to move my appengine to EU. It will be a while before I can afford that :( However once that is done, they should talk and I should get better performance. 

Anthony Nolan


On Monday, November 12, 2012 2:51:00 PM UTC, Peter wrote:
I had the same issue and yes it's definitely that you can't have a US app engine talk to a European cloud sql instance(thanks again Rob for the heads-up). I couldn't see anyway to change it so I just deleted European sql instance and set up a new US one and that worked fine. Be interested to know if I did the right thing or if there was a better approach i.e. some setting where you can just migrate to a US sql data centre or vice-versa.

Peter. 

On Monday, 12 November 2012 13:02:57 UTC, Anthony Nolan wrote:
I have exported my US instance to google cloud storage, created a new cloud sql instance (EU datacentre) and imported the instance. This is all fine. However when I try to authorize my existing application (appengine, but not the datastore) I get the unknown error problem (we are looking into it). Is my appengine app running on a US datacentre - hence the difficulty in getting it to talk to my new EU cloud sql? I can't see any way to change (or even check) the location of an app engine instance.

Thanks,

Anthony Nolan



--
Joe Faith | Product Manager | Google Cloud

No comments:

Post a Comment